Thursday, May 07, 2009

Hippies and Activists They're Not

Apparently, kids these days learn early about sit-ins and hunger strikes. After I turned down a dozen or so television watching requests (I'm not that mean, they did watch a video with the babysitter. Albeit an educational Magic School Bus video, but something on the big screen all the same), I was informed that this was "No fair!" and that "I'm not going to be your friend anymore!"

At that point, the request changed to "I just want to sit and watch the TV."

"Okay," I replied, "you can sit and watch the TV. But you can't turn it on." Wes got excited and sat. Carson, however stood at the TV. Not long after, when Wes asked why Carson wasn't turning it on.

After this segment, I was told "that's it! I'm going to sit here and I'm not going to do anything you say, unless you turn it on."

Hmmm... I thought as I got dinner ready. This'll be fun.

Of course, I thought I was going to get to play it out a bit. But as I chopped the fruit for the salad, I called out, "anyone want a piece of a pear?"

The replies were quick: "No, I won't do anything you say" and "No I don't want anything from you. Unless... you let me watch TV."

"Really?" I questioned. "That's okay, then I'll just eat the extra pear pieces." Popped one in my mouth. "Mmmmm. This is one good pear."

I really thought it would be Wes who caved first, but in a matter of seconds I heard a dismal request for the TV from Carson, "Mom, can we please watch the TV?"

"No," I said as I popped in another pear piece. "Wow, are you guys sure you don't want a pear? Or maybe a crais..."

"Mom," Carson walked over, "I still want to turn on the TV, but I'll have a pear." Not more than 30 seconds later Wes reached up to the counter for his pears.

No need to tell them, but I was willing to continue my offerings. It would have been interesting to see if they could have resisted a popsicle.

No comments: