Monday, July 24, 2006

BLACKOUT PART 2

The day after the storm, I picked up Carson at camp and took the boys to Wegmans for what was supposed to be a quick trip to replace the dairy in the fridge.

Of course, the dairy section is in the WAAAAAAY back of the store. Carson was out of the cart, walking a few steps ahead of Wes and me, and everything went PITCH BLACK. I'm not exaggerating. Their wasn't even a glimmer or a reflection of a light. There was nothing. And dead silence!

I instructed Carson to freeze and he listened. And instinctually, I found my way to him, while still holding on to the cart and Wesley. I whispered to the boys that everything was okay and they just needed to wait with me. They didn't even whimper. Carson only whispered back "okay, Mommy." After what seemed like forever, a few lights flickered on. My guess is that these were the generator lights. And then flickered off again. And on again. I glanced around and it was amazing how many moms were in the exact same position as me: holding tight to their children, whispering that every thing would be okay.

I strapped Carson into a seat in the cart, grabbed my necessities and started to move through the store. The few lights continued flickering. We began walking with a 50ish year old woman who was shaking. She basically threw down her foods and said "This is the scariest thing ever. I just screamed so loud in the soup aisle. I can't handle this--I'm leaving."

Carson's priceless reply: "I think this is so much fun."

I'm so proud of my boys! They were exceptionally well behaved and strong in what could have been a terrifying situation. Both were happy, smiling and patient--and had a great story to tell Daddy at dinner!

No comments: